Businesses that involve shipping, receiving and handling pallets of any size can benefit from loading docks. No matter what type of goods your business deals with, there’s a great advantage to installing loading docks.
Here are five ways that loading docks can improve your business:
- They’re safeAny warehouse equipment you use — whether it’s a forklift, a pallet or a loading dock — needs to be safe. The great thing about loading dock technology is that it’s design has Operator safety in mind. Unfortunately human error does occur and ignorance and poor judgement are often the root causes. Proper safety training goes along way in mitigating these two issues.
- Ease of useBesides being safe, loading docks are easy to use. They’re also easy to maintain and you can get an automated loading dock that eliminates the need for manual operation. This ensures that your workers aren’t wasting their time doing something that a machine can do and are able to be more productive.
- Time saversLoading docks save time because you’re unloading and loading in the same place. With speedy loading and unloading times, you get your trucks on the road faster and your goods to your customers quicker. Furthermore, loading docks reduce the amount of time your trucks are spent idling and you can load and unload multiple shipments each day.
- Able to handle loads of all sizesLoading docks can handle loads up to 100,000 pounds. They’re also designed to handle heavy traffic so no matter what your product weighs, you can rest assured that the loading dock won’t cave under the pressure.
- Compatible with trucksSome dock levelers come equipped with truck restraints. These are hooks that attach to the truck’s ICC bar to keep it in place during the loading and unloading of goods. Loading docks that are truck-compatible prevent injuries because the hook ensures that the truck doesn’t accidentally drive or creep away while goods are being moved on and off.
When it comes to loading docks, you need to find the type that works best for your space. All warehouses aren’t created equal, so it’s important to find a dock that fits your business’ needs and the available area in your warehouse. The bottom line is this: loading docks improve productivity, are safe, and help move your cargo quickly; and in this fast-paced business world that’s what matters most.